Tuesday, August 21, 2012

The Delaware Project

This is the model for my next project-the Delaware Blue Hen Chicken.  A naming anomaly exists with this bird as the label refers to the species as a whole-roosters and hens.  I hope I can do it justice.  It won't be easy.  It will be a more complex drawing than my first two attempts.  I don't think I will have a problem with the colors, however.  They are mostly darker hues which are easier to duplicate.  I have found that the lighter duller hues are much more of a problem.


Photo courtesy of www.statebirds.blogspot.com

I know little about Delaware, except the usual stuff.  It was the first state of the union.  It is the nation's second smallest state in area with only three counties.  I also learned in business class that it has or had extremely liberal incorporation laws and a lot of companies had their headquarters there. I also know that Delaware has a lot of wetland area.  It sits between the Atlantic Ocean and Chesapeake Bay.   It also sits at the mouth of the Delaware River where it empties into the Atlantic.  I am assuming, as a result, that there is a rich diversity of bird species in that area.  Therefore, I am bit curious as to why the citizens of Delaware chose a domestic chicken to represent their state.  That is really none of business though.  I just hope I can do a good job with the drawing and other elements of the project.  I am currently working on another project.  It will be quite awhile before this one is done. 

No comments:

Post a Comment